Love is the Support Structure for our Faith in Jesus
1 Corinthians 13
(Esp. vv. 1-3)
1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.
Three Consequences for Living without Love.
- Without Love our TALENTS are USELESS.
- Without love our FAITH is MEANINGLESS.
- Without love our SERVICE is POINTLESS.
Five Ways God’s Love Affects our lives.
- God’s love CLARIFIES the way we THINK.
- God’s love TRANSFORMS the way we LIVE.
- God’s love CHANGES the way we SEE.
- God’s love CONSTRAINS the way we BEHAVE.
- God’s love ALTERS the way we HEAR.
I wrote this outline on February 19, 2003. I am not sure if I ever shared it in a teaching/preaching setting. However, I wanted to record it for posterity. I have clarified some of the points so that it makes more sense!
Between Life and Living
Life is that which we have.
Living is that which we do.
This is the distinctive of the Christian experience. Faith in Jesus moves us from just having life to living the life that God has given.
There are two types of life:
1. Physical Life
- All have creatures that breath have this. There is no purpose. It is merely a fact.
2. Spiritual Life
- This is better than mere physical life. The question is now that you are a live what will you do? This is where learning how to live comes in.
What is Necessary for living?
- Where is it found?
For the disciple of Jesus it is found in a relationship with him.
- Why is it necessary?
Without a relationship with Jesus we cannot live up to God’s will and purpose for our lives.
- How do you get it?
Desire comes from experiencing the Gospel’s transforming power. (Romans 1:16)
- How do you keep it?
We keep our desire by reminding ourselves of the Gospel and holding onto the truth that it proclaims–that we are now new creations because of Jesus. (2 Cor. 5:17)
The One Worshiped Sets The Rules
1. Why is so much space given to the building?
- The amount of space given to describing the building is important.
- God directs Moses to record a meticulous account of the construction.
2. Worship is… acknowledging the worth of something relative to our own worth.
- We worship what we value.
- We value what we desire.
- We desire what will satisfy our souls.
3. Satisfaction of the soul… is an existential reality
We want for our life to have purpose and meaning.
- Our Satisfaction comes form purpose
- Our Purpose is determined by our design
- Our Design come from God
4. Only God can decide what is appropriate worship.
- God knows what will please him.
- God knows what will displease him.
- God is not required to explain himself to his creation.
5. What Does This Reveal?
- We have grown to big for our britches.
- We think that we know what pleases God.
- The purpose of worship is God’s pleasure, not our own.
I preached this sermon on a couple of occasions, but this particular version I preach at Merrywood Baptist Church in Statesboro, Georgia. Continue reading Sermon Sketch | “Marks of Pure Worship”